Deben District Scouts

GSLs met on 15th February at 1st Kesgrave to discuss the Scout Association’s appointments process and implications of current problems on the safety and quality of Scouting in the District. The meeting agreed we will take the following actions to address concerns associated with this:
  1. To stem the flow of non-appointed adults into the District: From 1st March, the whole of Deben District is going to use the proper appointments process, in line with POR, and anyone who bypasses this process will be asked to leave.
  2. To reduce risks associated with untrained established volunteers: From 1st March, anyone assuming a Leader or Assistant or similar role who hasn’t completed “Getting Started” already will have until 1st August to complete it, regardless of whether they are appointed or not, and anyone who doesn’t meet this deadline will be asked to leave.

We acknowledge that Sections may be jeopardised if individuals fail to make the deadline.

Oliver said it was important for the pending applications to be dealt with as soon as possible.

We noted there are implications for permits CLICK HERE.

Julie’s later meeting with AAC Chair and Secretary on 20th March:
After a shaky start, the AAC is now working successfully. This has enabled Julie to make four appointments in the past week and Kelly has prepared a further eighteen applications that are now ready for consideration by the AAC. The meeting agreed the following actions:
Julie is going to let GSLs know the status of each of their Groups’ applicants, plus any helpful actions they may be able to take.
Brian is going to organise another AAC meeting and interview opportunities as soon as possible.
GSLs are asked to use a local Appointments form in future. We drew it up at this meeting and it will help Kelly process applications without any unnecessary delays and assist a good level of communication around the applications process.
Kelly is going to negotiate dates with applicants and inform GSLs when they are due to attend interviews.
  1. Julie is going to let GSLs know the status of each of their Groups’ applicants, plus any helpful actions they may be able to take.
  2. Brian is going to organise another AAC meeting and interview opportunities as soon as possible.
  3. GSLs are asked to use a local Appointments form in future. We drew it up at this meeting and it will help Kelly process applications without any unnecessary delays and assist a good level of communication around the applications process.
  4. Kelly is going to negotiate dates with applicants and inform GSLs when they are due to attend interviews.